Charges Dropped Against Protective ‘Lion Mama’ Who Killed Daughter’s Alleged Rapist

The ‘Lion Mama’ case which gripped the hearts of South Africans, has been scrapped off the roll. “uMama can now go home and heal,” reported Carte Blanche, which featured the Eastern Cape (EC) mom on Sunday night, on the eve of her trial.

The 56-year-old mother – who stabbed three men who were gang-raping her 27-year-old daughter, killing one – appeared in Lady Free Magistrates Court in the EC yesterday morning at 9 am. She was expecting to be charged.

Instead, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) decided Monday to drop the murder and attempted murder charges for the incident which occurred on 2 September in a deserted house near Komani.

The mother said afterwards that she had been afraid walking into court, but had felt “strong” thanks to the support of those in and outside the court (where hundreds were gathered).


Support for her had grown in SA with a crowdfunding page raising over R133,000 to help with her expected legal fees. The funds will now be used instead for her wellbeing.

Her attorney Buhle Tonise said: “She still needs to go for trauma counselling for her and her daughter. We have transferred the money that was paid to us to her for her wellbeing.

“She said she wants a fence and another room for her daughter. She also asked for assistance with managing her money as she has never had that amount of money. She wants assistance on how to save the money.”

Speaking to the crowd outside the court, the mother said: “I felt like an old baboon that has no friends, but today you showed me I have people and that I was not alone. Thank you.

“I am happy that the charges are withdrawn against me and I thought I was going to jail, but God was on my side.”

The two surviving men face charges of rape and will remain in police custody.

(South Africans abroad who would like to watch the Carte Blanche episode featuring #LionMama can subscribe to Showmax.)