Important INFO on how to appeal a declined SASSA application
Heading into the end of 2023, here’s some important information on how best to appeal a declined SASSA application.
The Christmas holidays are not a festive time for everyone, especially if you need to appeal a declined SASSA application. There are many reasons why you may need to appeal a declined SASSA application. Therefore, it is important to find out exactly why your application was denied.
APPEAL A DECLINED SASSA APPLICATION
More than 19-million South Africans received more the R240-billion annually through social grants. But depending on the SASSA grant you’ve applied for, there are various reasons it may have been declined.
You may not be eligible for a certain SASSA grant due to the following:
- Not completing your paperwork correctly.
- Identifying yourself correctly.
- You may have failed the Means Test.
- Have an alternative source of income.
- Already be receiving an existing SASSA grant.
- There is record of fraudulent activity against your name.
- Age limitations for the particular SASSA grant.
- Discrepancies with Home Affairs or UIF information.
ALSO READ: CONFIRMED: All SASSA payment DATES for 2024
Accordingly, you can appeal by logging an online reconsideration request with the Department of Social Development (DSD). This must be done within 30 days of the rejection notice. Remember, you can appeal for each declined month to avoid the original decision being upheld:
- Click HERE to lodge an appeal with the DSD.
- Follow the prompts and enter your ID number.
- Type in your phone number.
- A one-time PIN will be sent to your registered phone number.
- Enter that PIN and select the month for appeal.
- Select a reason to appeal a declined SASSA application.
- The appeal process can take anywhere between 30-90 days.
APPEAL VIA TELEPHONE
And, if you’ve tried online and have not received a response, you can appeal a declined SASSA application via the telephone, too:
- Call SASSA on 0800 601 011.
- Choose option 3 to speak with a SASSA consultant.
- Lodge your appeal over the phone.
- The same 30-90 days wait time applies.
HOW OFTEN CAN I APPEAL?
Moreover, there’s no limit to how often you can appeal, and SASSA Check recommends submitting a separate appeal for each and every month your application was declined. Be persistent and don’t let government bureaucracy and inefficiency get in the way of a social payout if you genuinely need it.
Did you find this article on how to appeal a declined SASSA application helpful? If you have personal experience, be sure to share your thoughts with our audience in the comments section below. And don’t forget to follow us @TheSANews on X and The South African on Facebook for the latest updates.