Top 10 primary schools in demand in Gauteng
Laerskool Akasia received the highest number of applications (1476) for Grade 1 2024 from prospective parents out of all Gauteng schools.
Hundreds of thousands of anxious parents await an SMS from the Gauteng Department of Education(GDE, hoping to see that their little bundles of joy have been accepted into their schools of choice for 2024.
Unfortunately, the applications schools receive far exceed the institution’s capacity.
PRIMARY SCHOOLS RECEIVED HIGHEST APPLICATIONS
Since Monday 4 September, the department began placing applicants in their schools of choice. 228 027 out of 757 075 parents had received placement offers for their child/children.
According to the department the following primary schools across the province received the most number of applications:
- LAERSKOOL AKASIA in Tshwane West – capacity: 246 vs applications: 1476
- PALMRIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity: 200 vs applications: 1102
- LAERSKOOL RACHEL DE BEER inTshwane West – capacity:240 vs applications: 1085
- ALSTON PRIMARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:240 vs applications: 1016
- STONERIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:250 vs applications: 1000
- LAKESIDE PRIMARY SCHOOL inEkurhuleni South – capacity:160 vs applications: 999
- LAERSKOOL THERESAPARK inTshwane West – capacity:230 vs applications: 984
- SELCOURT PRIMARY SCHOOL in Gauteng East – capacity:120 vs applications: 935
- OPELWEG PRIMARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity: 275 vs applications: 926
- ALBERVIEW PRIMARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:150 vs applications: 924
PLACEMENT PROCESS SO FAR
On Tuesday, the department revealed that out of the 145 472 applicants for space in Grade 1, just less than half 61 180 learners have been officially placed in schools while 53 915 have been offered places in schools.
Once a parent receives a placement SMS, they can accept the offer as final, or provisionally accept an offer from a specific school while they wait to receive other offers.
29 637 parents are yet to receive placement offers for their child/children.
The department has warned that any application with unverified documents or incomplete documents will be processed for placement in December.