by Jenni Baxter
Invictus is already chalking up a number of accolades. The Hollywood movie about the role that Nelson Mandela and rugby hero Francois Pienaar played in bringing a nation together through sport, has been nominated for various awards – including the Oscards and Golden Globes – and, with its recent Board of Review Awards it seems to already be on a winning streak. (And isn’t it fab that Americans are finally watching – and enjoying – a movie with rugby in it, rather than us watching yet another US baseball/basketball flik!)
View Invictus Video Interviews
We’ve compiled a selection of the best interviews with the Invictus stars for you – including Matt Damon (playing Pienaar) and Morgan Freeman (as Mandela), as well as with acclaimed director Clint Eastwood. Check out sapeople’s Video section. There’s also a great video where Francois Pienaar reflects on Nelson Mandela. And there’s a link to a bunch of trailers in case you haven’t yet seen the movie.
Read sapeople Posts about Invictus:
Ted Botha in New York and Sue Walsh in Cape Town discuss the movie, plus Sue tells about her own personal meeting with Nelson Mandela and how Clint Eastwood made her day. You can also read a transcription of the poem Invictus (which inspired Nelson Mandela) in Sue’s post.
Accolades to Date:
- Nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Actor (Morgan Freeman), Best Supporting Actor (Matt Damon)
- Nominated for three Golden Globe Awards: Best Actor (Morgan Freeman), Best Supporting Actor (Matt Damon), Best Director (Clint Eastwood)
- Nominated for four Critics Choice Awards: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Director
- Nominated for two Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor
- Nominated by Producers Guild of America for Producer of the Year (Clint Eastwood, Rob Lorenz, Lori McCreary, Mace Neufeld)
- Winner, National Board of Review: Best Director, Best Actor, plus Freedom of Expression award and One of the Year’s Ten Best Films
View the Official Invictus Site: