Scottish racing driver David Coulthard treated a big South African crowd to three runs and doughnuts on the streets of Cape Town yesterday… as well as to the most unique rendition of the South African anthem we’ve ever heard! (Watch at bottom of page.)
The noise reverberated off the walls of the Castle and Mutual Building in downtown Cape Town on Sunday as the Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Live Demo team roared into the city centre with David Coulthard at the wheel of the double-championship winning RB7.
Here is all you need to know:
1. A capacity crowd pushing 50,000 enjoyed blue skies on the fine late autumn day, lining Darling Street and the Grand Parade to watch DC light it up on the Red Bull Cape Town Circuit.
2. The main event was ably supported by stunt rider Aruñas ‘Aras’ Gibieža and trials legend Brian Capper doing unbelievable things on two wheels, complemented by some very precise car control from the Cape Town Drift Squad.
3. Overhead, Red Bull Air Race Challenger Class pilot Patrick Davidson was pulling serious gees in an acrobatic display, while the house DJs keep the tempo high on the ground.
4. It was, however, the V8 powered RB7 that was the star of the show, with David performing three runs and the full array of burnouts, speed runs and doughnuts – including a monumental extended finale that had the crowds in raptures – nobody doughnuts like DC!
5. Coulthard revealed: “I’ve got to say, what an incredible turnout of people here in Cape Town. Talking to people, there’s a real mix here, from local hardcore F1 fans but also visitors from all around the world. I think it really shows the power of South Africa to draw in tourists – but also the enduring appeal of Formula One to bring everyone downtown on a Sunday afternoon.”
WATCH David Coulthard and the RB7 play the South African national anthem!
Ahead of the Red Bull Show Run in Cape Town, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing give the crowd a surprise as David Coulthard and the RB7 played the South Africa national anthem to get the show started.