Rustenburg: North West Remains on High Alert Following May Day Rally 'Disruption'
Rustenburg: North West Remains on High Alert Following May Day Rally 'Disruption'. Photo: Twitter video screenshot

POTCHEFSTROOM – The Provincial Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (PROVJOINTS) in North West said on Sunday night that it was remaining on high alert following the “disruption” of the May Day rally at the Royal Bafokeng Sport Palace, outside Rustenburg, on Sunday afternoon, 01 May 2022. The disruption led to President Cyril Ramaphosa leaving the stadium and the event ultimately being called off.

The South African president was escorted out of the stadium after basically being chased away by workers at the COSATU May Day celebrations. Some were chanting: “you must go”.

The President had been expected to address those gathered (not many) on behalf of the ANC and share the stage with labour federation’s president Zingiswa Losi and the SACP general- secretary Dr Blade Nzimande, but he was forced to abandon plans as the rally descended into chaos, fights broke out in the stadium and some workers stormed onto the pitch and went to the podium.

“The situation is currently stable with no reports of injuries, loss of lives or damage to property,” said the South African Police Service on Sunday evening.


Former DA Leader Mmusi Maimane tweeted late Sunday: “What happened in Rustenburg today was an indication that the ANC has lost the youth of this nation and the workers of this nation.”

The Chairperson of the PROVJOINTS, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena said he was disappointed by the “conduct of those behind the disruption and consequent abandonment of the event”.

While Cosatu said no action will be taken against those workers who disrupted the celebration, General Kwena cautioned that decisive action would be taken against anyone who breaks the law or threatens the safety and security of law abiding citizens in the province.

According to the SABC, hundreds of NUM-affiliated Sibanye Stillwater mineworkers have been on strike for almost two months, demanding a R1,000 salary increase (the employer is only offering R800). The workers were demanding that Ramaphosa address their issues.

WATCH Ramaphosa addresses workers’ concerns