The SA Tourism Board will no longer proceed with the almost R1 billion Tottenham Hotspur FC sponsorship deal.
This was confirmed by Tourism Minister, Patricia de Lille on Thursday, 30 March.
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR DEAL CANNED
De Lille said the SA Tourism Board will no longer proceed with the transaction nor will it seek the concomitant requisite approvals for the proposed transaction.
Furthermore, de Lille said given the current economic climate, the use of public funds must be carefully considered and for any department to fulfill its mandate it must be done in a cost effective way.
“Our justification for any significant spending must still make sense in terms of the broader economic climate we find ourselves in as a country,” she said.
ALSO READ: ‘It’s nothing new’: SA Tourism CEO on R1bn sponsorship deal
ALSO READ: SA Tourism guns for whistleblower who leaked R1bn Spurs deal
SA TOURISM GUNS FOR WHISTLEBLOWER
As previously reported by The South African in February, the SA Tourism Board launched a forensic investigation into the leaking of its Board’s discussion about the almost R1 billion Tottenham Hotspur FC deal.
In a statement, the Board said before the consultation process was undertaken, a presentation containing the details of the Tottenham Hotspur FC deal was regretfully leaked to the public.
“Unfortunately, this was before the planned consultations with stakeholders and any final decision on the deal being made,” the statement read.
The Board said it has deliberated and resolved that a forensic investigation on the leaking of the discussion be conducted.
ALSO READ: Tottenham Hotspur: DA to send delegation on fact-finding mission regarding R1bn proposal