Gr 8 2024: Top 10 high schools in demand in Gauteng
Around 40 000 2024 grade 8 learners have been officially placed in Gauteng schools. Parents are urged not to panic and await placement offers
On Monday, over 200 000 SMS’s containing placement offers went out to parents of grade one and eight learners for 2024 in Gauteng. The top high schools in Gauteng were inundated with applications from eager pupils and parents.
In June, the department opened up the online application process for learners heading to high school next year, and as expected parents would want to be the first to submit applications to ensure their children are enrolled to their school of choice.
HIGH SCHOOLS THAT RECEIVED THE MOST APPLICATIONS
Unfortunately, applications far exceed the capacity of each school. The top ten high schools in demand by prospective parents, received on average. applications four times more than their capacity
ALSO READ: Top 10 primary schools in demand in Gauteng
According to the department, the following high schools received the most applications in Gauteng for grade eight in 2024:
- KATLEHONG MANUFACTURING, TRANSPORT AND LOGISTICS SCHOOL OF SPECIALISATION in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:275 vs applications: 2641
- HOËRSKOOL LANGENHOVEN in Tshwane West – capacity:290 vs applications: 2617
- ALBERTON HIGH SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:200 vs applications: 2500
- PARKTOWN BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL in Johannesburg East – capacity:197vs applications: 2318
- BOKSBURG HIGH SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:254vs applications: 2179
- HOËRSKOOL PRESIDENT in Johannesburg Central – capacity: 2149
- SIR JOHN ADAMSON HIGH SCHOOL in Johannesburg Central – capacity:480 vs applications: 2069
- HOËRSKOOL AKASIA in Tshwane West – capacity:230 vs applications: 2041
- PHUMLANI SECONDARY SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity:250 vs applications: 1996
- SUNWARD PARK HIGH SCHOOL in Ekurhuleni South – capacity: 320 vs applications: 1970
PLACEMENT PROCESS SO FAR
On Tuesday, the department revealed that out of the 160 509 applicants for space in Grade 8, only 38 674 learners have been officially placed in schools while 72 596 have been offered places in schools with parents yet to respond.
922 parents have provisionally accepted spots in certain schools while they wait for offers from other schools.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ONLY PROCESSED END OF YEAR
Once a parent receives a placement SMS, they can accept the offer as final, or provisionally accept an offer from a specific school while they wait to receive other offers.
48 317 parents are yet to receive placement offers for their child/children.
The department has warned that any application with unverified documents or incomplete documents will be processed for placement in December.