Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about BRICS 2023
From road closures load shedding and to the agenda, here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the BRICS summit 2023.
Several roads will be closed, with safety and security preparations in place ahead of the BRICS summit 2023 in Johannesburg this week. Here is everything that you should know about.
WHAT IS THE BRICS SUMMIT 2023, AND WHY IS IT SIGNIFICANT?
BRICS is an acronym that refers to a geo-economic group of five major emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. The formation of BRICS was largely driven by a desire to increase cooperation and collaboration among these major emerging economies on economic, political, and global governance issues.
WHEN AND WHERE WILL IT BE HOSTED?
The 15th BRICS summit will be held from the 22 – 24 August at the Sandton Convention Centre in South Africa.
WHO WILL ATTEND THE BRICS SUMMIT IN SA?
Among the attendees will be the Heads of State of
- China and
- South Africa.
- Vladimir Putin will not be in attendance, with Russia being represented by Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
WHAT COUNTRIES WANT TO JOIN BRICS?
A total of 40 countries have expressed their interest in joining BRICS, while 23 countries have formally applied, including Argentina, Iran, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Thailand, Cuba, Egypt, and Nigeria.
WHAT IS A BRICS CURRENCY?
A new common currency has been touted for some time as a way to reduce the dominance of the US dollar in international trade (80% of global trade is settled in US dollars currently) and bypass Western-style political economy and financial regimes, providing more accessible international trade avenues.
WHAT WILL THE THEME COVER FOR 2023?
The theme covers five key priorities for 2023:
- Addressing climate change challenges
- Revamping education and skills development
- Leveraging the African Continental Free Trade Area
- Promoting post-pandemic recovery
- Strengthening global cooperation.
WHAT STREETS WILL BE AFFECTED:
There will be limited access in areas surrounding the Sandton Convention Centre. Those operating businesses and those who live near the Sandton Convention Centre are to be aware of the following road closures from 08:00 on Sunday, 20 August, to midnight on Thursday, 24 August:
- Corner of Maude Street and West Street;
- Corner of West Street and Alice Lane; and
- Corner of Alice Lane and 5th Street.
Those operating businesses and residing near the Midrand Gallagher Estate are to be aware of the following road closures, on Wednesday, 23 August, from 15:00 to midnight:
- Gallagher Avenue and Richards Drive;
- Richards Drive traffic circle;
- Johnnic Boulevard and Lupton Drive; and
- Johnnic Boulevard and Pretoria Main Road.