Springboks announce Rugby World Cup 2023 squad with three key omissions
The Springboks have named the 33-man squad which will travel to France as they go on a quest to defend their Rugby World Cup crown.
The Springboks have named their 33-man squad which will travel to France as they aim to defend their Rugby World Cup crown.
SPRINGBOKS ANNOUNCE RUGBY WORLD CUP 2023 SQUAD
- Props: Frans Malherbe, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane.
- Hookers: Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi.
- Locks: Eben Etzebeth, RG Snyman, Franco Mostert, Jean Kleyn, Marvin Orie.
- Loose forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi, Jasper Wiese, Kwagga Smith, Deon Fourie, Duane Vermeulen, Marco van Staden.
- Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk, Jaden Hendrikse, Grant Williams, Cobus Reinach.
- Flyhalves: Manie Libbok.
- Centres: Damian de Allende, Andre Esterhuizen, Jesse Kriel.
- Outside backs: Makazole Mapimpi, Cheslin Kolbe, Willie le Roux, Canan Moodie, Kurt-Lee Arendse.
- Utility backs: Damian Willemse.
RWC 2023: Latest odds a month ahead of tournament
There were always going to be casualties with such a strong pool of players. The likes of Joseph Dweba, Herschel Jantjies, x and x will count themselves unfortunate to have missed out on selection. What do you think of this squad of players? Can they do what only one team in history has done and retain the Rugby World Cup?
Jacques Nienaber, Rassie Erasmus and these 33 men get their quest started with a battle against Scotland on September 10th. Just 33 days away now.
RWC 23 FIXTURES
- Sunday, 10 September – Boks v Scotland (Stade Velodrome, Marseille)
- Sunday, 17 September – Boks v Romania (Stade de Bordeaux, Bordeaux)
- Saturday, 23 September – Boks v Ireland (Stade de France, Paris)
- Sunday, 1 October – Boks v Tonga (Stade Velodrome, Marseille)
- Weekend of 14/15 October – Quarter-finals
- Weekend of 21/22 October – Semi-finals
- Saturday, 28 October – Final