JOHANNESBURG – University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) workers and students sang ‘Voetsek’ outside Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court Wednesday morning, after police asked them to move. The scene came following the denial of bail for Wits University SRC leader Mcebo Dlamini (32). Watch below.
Dlamini, one of the #FeesMustFall leaders, was arrested on Sunday morning – at a Wits residence – on charges of public violence, theft, assault with intent to cause grievious bodily harm and malicious damage to property.
He is due to appear in court again on 15 November 2016.
Aside from the song, other reactions on Twitter included:
- “Dear ANC, You should know better that When Mandela was denied bail Winnie & others continued with the struggle #MceboDlamini #FeesMustFall” – Funny Barry Roux
- “Vuyani Pambo addressing students outside court ‘they have shown their true colours let us show them our true colours'” – Sikelelwa Mdingi
- “The fact that you like or hate #MceboDlamini is irrelevant today. We just witnessed a system that serves the rich.” – Khathu Hasha
- “It’s sad that the same generation that fought oppression is the same that has now become the oppressor” – Faith Kutlwano
- “A child of the ANC / Arrested by the ANC / Fighting for what the ANC promised / Cry the beloved ANC” – Shafee Verachia
Watch Wits Students and Workers sing ‘Voetsek’
— Iavan Pijoos (@Iavan13) October 19, 2016
Also on Twitter:
— Sankara (@Allan_Tshuma) October 19, 2016
— Sikelelwa Mdingi (@SikiGeyaMdingi) October 19, 2016