Cricket South Africa today charged former Proteas player and former Highveld Lions captain Alviro Petersen with several breaches of its Anti-Corruption Code for Personnel (“the Code”).
The charges against Petersen follow the lengthy and ongoing investigation by CSA’s Anti-Corruption Unit and the previous findings and bans imposed on Gulam Bodi, Jean Symes, Pumelela Matshikwe, Ethy Mbhalati and Thami Tsolekile for offences under the Code relating to the 2015 RAM SLAM T20 Challenge Series.
Petersen, aged 35, has been charged with:
– Contriving to fix or otherwise improperly influence, or being party to a scheme in which attempts would be made to fix or otherwise improperly influence, a match or matches in the 2015 RAM SLAM T20 Challenge Series;
– Seeking to accept, accepting or agreeing to accept a bribe or reward to fix or contrive to fix or influence improperly a match or matches in the 2015 RAM SLAM T20 Challenge Series;
– Failing to disclose to the Designated Anti-Corruption Official (without unnecessary delay) full details of any approaches or invitations to engage in Corrupt Conduct under the Code;
– Failure to disclose to the Designated Anti-Corruption Official (without unnecessary delay) full details of any incident or fact that may evidence Corrupt Conduct under the Code by another participant;
– Nine counts of failing to disclose (without unnecessary delay) accurate and complete information and/or documentation to the Designated Anti-Corruption Official;
– Obstructing or delaying the investigation by concealing, tampering with or destroying information or documentation relevant to the investigation.
Petersen has fourteen days to respond to the charges under the provisions of the Code.
Under Article 4.7 of the Code, CSA has provisionally suspended Petersen from playing, coaching or otherwise being involved in any capacity in any match under its jurisdiction or that of the ICC or any other ICC member.
In terms of Article 8.1 of the Code and in terms of standard practice, CSA will not make any further comment in respect of the matter.
Petersen recently announced the birth of his daughter, Hayley Gabriella Petersen, in October.