Watch the daring rescue below of a giraffe which was choking on a metal wire wrapped dangerously around its neck.
The video was uploaded by Inside Edition on 29 January 2018. It was apparently filmed in Mikembo Sanctuary in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Rescuers worked together to tranquillise the large animal with a powerful opoid, and ensured that it wasn’t injured as its tall frame fell to the ground. Experts say that shooting a giraffe is easy… but getting it down without it dying is a challenge.
According to National Geographic (NG), the veterinarian not only removed the wire, but also applied a few shots to the giraffe, including anti-parasitic medicine and a vitamin injection.
Inside Edition said in its YouTube caption that afterwards “the beast happily got to its feet and joined its friends”. Workers from the sanctuary have reported that the giraffe “appears to be doing well and in good health”, according to NG. Phew!
WATCH Rescuers save giraffe choking on metal wire around its neck, in Africa
If your device can’t view the above, try this:
This giraffe is alive because these men put their lives in danger for her ❤️
Posted by Daily Mail on Monday, January 29, 2018