South Africans are renowned for their own brand of humour… and even when it comes to a global event like Black Friday, South Africans have been creating their own unique jokes and memes to make fun of the day when shops slash prices.
Even though Black Friday may have originated in the US (the day after Thanksgiving Day), it has become massively popular in South Africa during recent years (see graph at bottom of the page).
Don’t miss Showmax Black Friday 2 for 1 Special 2021
According to e-commerce discount site Picodi.com:
- 66% of South Africans are going to participate in Black Friday;
- 61% is the average discount in South African stores on Black Friday;
- 52% of customers participating in Black Friday don’t know what they’re going to buy yet;
- 49% of South Africans make orders from mobile phones;
- 48% of consumers know what they’re going to buy in advance;
- 40% of shoppers are going to buy 2-3 products on sales.
- an average man will spend more money on sales than an average woman: R1850 and R1516 ZAR respectively.
Black Friday Jokes being shared in South Africa:
And the ultimate South African Black Friday joke…
According to Piccodi.com on Black Friday South Africans made 16,226 percent more purchases on our site compared to other days, more than twice that of the next country, Greece!