Injured South Africans Return Home from Egypt

Four South Africans, who remained in Egypt for medical care following a bus explosion in that country, returned home on Wednesday.

A damaged bus is seen at the site of a blast near a new museum being built close to the Giza pyramids in Cairo, Egypt May 19, 2019. REUTERS/Ahmed Fahmy

The bus, had been carrying 25 South African tourists from the airport to the pyramids in Giza.

According to Egyptian authorities, a rudimentary device containing nails and pieces of metal detonated on the perimeter of the Grand Egyptian Museum near the bus. At least 12 were injured, four seriously.

In a brief statement today, South Africa’s Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) said it “would like to confirm that the four South Africans, who remained in Egypt for medical care after the roadside bomb blast that targeted the tourist bus they were travelling on, have returned to South Africa this morning, 22 May 2019.”

DIRCO said no further details will be made available as the four have requested privacy and time to recover from the traumatic experience.

Egyptian security forces confirmed on Monday that they had killed 12 suspected Islamist militants in Cairo, a day after the explosion.

Minister Lindiwe Sisulu had been informed of Sunday’s incident by South African Ambassador in Egypt, Vusi Mavimbela. РSAnews.gov.za