The family of a South African Airways (SAA) crew member, who sadly passed away on Sunday, have been left dismayed by rumours circulating in SA that she died from Covid-19. Through the SA National Defence Force (SANDF), the family has issued a statement laying claim to the facts surrounding the tragic death of the 39-year-old SAA stewardess.
Family spokesperson Elias Mazibila said: “The Ntshane family has learnt with utter dismay and concern about rumours on social media on the cause of death of Ms Tebatso Nakedi Ntshane.
“The family can confirm that Ms Ntshane succumbed to cancer-related complications in a Pretoria hospital on Sunday, 24 May 2020.
“She is survived by her son and mother.”
Ntshane was part of the SAA crew who willingly took part in Operation DITABA, led by the SANDF, in co-operation with DIRCO, to repatriate South Africans from Wuhan province in China.
Rumours had been circulating since Sunday that Ntshane had succumbed to Covid-19, but this is absolutely not true.
The family statement said: “The public is reminded and requested to cease spreading fake news related to Covid-19 as this is an offence prosecutable under the South African Disaster Management Act.
“The Ntshane family appeals to the public to allow the family to mourn their daughter and request that she be accorded the respect she deserves for serving her country diligently when she was called upon to do so.”
Friends and colleagues posted tributes. Pilot Mashwama Elizabeth Futhi said: “To a sister, a friend, our enthusiastic navigator and map reader from the back seat… May your soul rest in peace Nakedi Tebatso Ntshane… Already missing those days when you will bring me amakipkip for snacking in flight, saying I shouldn’t miss home that much🤣”
To a sister, a friend, our enthusiastic navigator and map reader from the back seat… May your soul rest in peace…
MEDIA STATEMENTDate: Tuesday, 26 May 2020Embargo: ImmediateTHE NTSHANE FAMILY ANNOUNCES THE FACTS SURROUNDING THE…