MultiChoice’s production houses have won more than half the Golden Horns at this year’s South African Film and TV Awards (SAFTAs) Craft Awards.
The awards ceremony, which was held last night (Friday 21 May), honoured the behind-the-scenes talent for their prowess in directing, scriptwriting, cinematography and editing categories to name a few.
MultiChoice’s production partners scooped over 32 Golden Horns, including the Best Made for TV Documentary, Supersport’s Chasing the Sun, which showcases the journey of the Springboks to their 2019 World Cup victory.
The Golden Horn for Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – Telenovela went to the dynamic duo who head up Tshedza Pictures, Gwydion Beynon and Phatu Makwarela, for their telenovela The River, while Black Brain Pictures’s music scoring team sang their way to winning the award for Best Achievement in Original Music/Score for their work on Lockdown.
Here is the full list of winners who were integral to the Multichoice-aired content:
CRAFT AWARDS WINNERS:
- Best Structured Soapie Reality Show: Life with Kelly Khumalo (Barleader TV) | Showmax
- Best Documentary Feature: How to Steal a Country (Rehad Desai and Mark Kaplan) | Showmax
- Best Made for TV Documentary: Chasing the Sun (SuperSport, SA Rugby and T+W) | SuperSport
- Best Competition Reality Show: Celebrity Mystery Box (Brightfire Pictures) | Mzansi Magic
- Best International Format Show: Hoor My, Sien My, Soen My (Afrokaans Film & Television) |kykNET
- Best Current Affairs Programme: Carte Blanche: Women’s Month Special (Combined Artists) | M-Net 101
- Best Variety Show: Republiek van Zoid Afrika (Brainwave Productions) | kykNET
- Best Entertainment Programme: Maak My Famous – Showcase (All Star Entertainment)| kykNET
- Best Made for TV Movie: Loving Thokoza (Black Brain Pictures) | Showmax
- Best Achievement in Directing – Telenovela: Gomora Season 1 (Thabang Moleya, Nthabiseng Mokoena, Nozipho Nkelemba and Lefuno Nekhabambe) | Mzansi Magic
- Best Achievement in Directing – TV Soap : Binnelanders (Danie Joubert, Roché Knoesen, Riaan Meij, Charl van Biljon, Gerrit Schoonhoven and Jaco Vermeulen) |kykNET
- Best Achievement in Directing -TV Drama: Tydelik Terminaal (Etienne Fourie and Elanie Rupping) | kykNET
- Best Achievement in Directing – Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Rehad Desai and Mark Kaplan) | Showmax
- Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – Telenovela: The River (Gwydion Beynon and Phathutshedzo Makwarela) | On 1Magic
- Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – TV Comedy: Black Tax (Byron Abrahams, Lwazi Mvusi, Joshua Rous and Meren Reddy) | BET and Showmax
- Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – TV Drama: Housekeepers (Portia Gumede, Duduzile Mabaso, Lufuno Nemungadi and Lidudumalingani) | Mzansi Magic
- Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – Feature Film: Toorbos (René van Rooyen) | kykNET
- Best Achievement In Original Music/Score – Telenovela: The River (Brendan Jury) | 1Magic
- Best Achievement in Original Music/Score – TV Drama: Lockdown (Kurt Slabbert, Jamela Vuma & Mandla Ngcongwane) | Showmax
- Best Achievement in Original Music/Score – Feature Film: Toorbos (Andries Smit) | kykNET
- Best Achievement in Editing – Telenovela: The River (Bongi Malefo, Edgar Sibaya, Sphiwe Nhlumayo & Ula Oelsen) | 1Magic
- Best Achievement in Editing – TV Drama: Still Breathing (Miriam Arndt and Alistair Thomas) M-Net 101
- Best Achievement in Editing – Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Megan Gill ) | Showmax
- Best Achievement in Editing – Feature Film: Griekwastad (Lucian Barnard) | kykNET
- Best Achievement in Sound – TV Soap/Telenovela: The River (Ben Oelsen & Tladi Mabuya) | 1Magic
- Best Achievement in Sound – Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Charlotte Buys) | Showmax
- Best Achievement in Cinematography – Telenovela: Legacy (Trevor Brown) | M-Net 101
- Best Achievement in Cinematography – Documentary: Chasing the Sun (Carter Devin) | SuperSport
- Best Achievement in Wardrobe – TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Zandile Mncwango) | M-Net 101
- Best Achievement in Make-Up and Hairstyling- TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Jenny Sprawson) | M-Net 101
- Best Achievement in Make-Up and Hairstyling – TV Drama: Trackers (Babalwa Mtshiselwa) | M-Net 101
- Best Achievement in Art Direction – TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Amanda Scholtz) | M-Net 101
The 15th annual South African Film and Television Awards will be broadcast on Mzansi Magic (DStv Channel 161) today (Saturday 22 May) at 19:00. The virtual red carpet will take place at 18:30 on the SAFTAs YouTube page.