Former South African President Jacob Zuma has been “inundated with messages of love, support and concern” since undergoing unspecified surgery in hospital on Saturday.
Zuma’s Foundation said all the messages have been “well received and appreciated”.
According to the SA Department of Correctional Services (DCS), Zuma will also be having “other procedures scheduled for the coming days”.
The Department confirmed that Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma remains in hospital outside Estcourt Correctional Centre, where he’s serving a 15-month sentence for contempt of court.
The DCS said with the forthcoming procedures, it’s unable to predict a discharge date “as our priority at this stage is for Mr Zuma to be afforded the best care possible”.
The Department explained that as inmates are placed in correctional services “involuntarily”, it’s the state’s “inescapable responsibility and duty to care for them in a manner that does not violate or compromise their constitutional rights, which includes access to health care”.
In a statement on Sunday, the Department appealed to the public to “refrain from speculating on the health of Mr Zuma, and allow medical practitioners space to continue providing quality healthcare to him.”
Zuma’s long-awaited trial for alleged corruption was postponed again last week because of his hospitalisation. The 79-year-old was taken to hospital 10 days ago for what his Foundation claimed was a routine annual check-up, but has been in hospital ever since.