Kevin Anderson US Open 2
Kevin Anderson out of US Open. Photo: Twitter / Kevin Anderson

South African tennis player Kevin Anderson has unfortunately been knocked out of the US Open in what was a challenging match with Tropical Storm Ida disrupting play.

The remnants of Hurricane Ida hit New York City region Wednesday evening with heavy rains that caused massive flooding and halted subway service. And, despite having a retractable roof, rain swept in sideways interrupting Anderson’s match at Louis Armstrong Stadium.

Dark clouds are seen above a neighborhood in New Jersey
Dark clouds are seen above a neighborhood, as local media reports monster tornados moving through New Jersey, in Gloucester County, New Jersey, U.S. September 1, 2021, in this still image taken from video obtained from social media. Credit: CHRISSY LEE/via REUTERS

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio described the flooding and weather on Wednesday night as a “historic weather event”; and the governors of NY and New Jersey declared a State of Emergency. According to NBC, at least four people died in NYC after being trapped in their basement, as the storm caused floods.

Anderson had fought a hard battle to get into the second round of the competition, with the US Open saying he had “the heart of a warrior” after he battled through a fifth-set tiebreak to advance to Round 2.

Kevin Anderson US Open
Photo: Tennis SA

But late last night (early this morning) he crashed out of the second round in straight-sets to Argentina’s Diego Schwartzman.

The South African, who is based with his family in the USA, went down to the 11th seeded Argentine 7-6 (4), 6-3, 6-4.

The weather did not help. During the opening set at Louis Armstrong Stadium, play had to stop for over half an hour because of the rain being blown in from the strong Tropical Storm Ida winds.

There was another disruption when his opponent slipped during the tiebreak of the opening set. The court was then dried with towels.

The match briefly re-commenced before being suspended and a decision was taken to continue the match at Arthur Ashe Stadium once it was free.

The battle to go through to the third round finally continued at about midnight! After it ended, at about 1am this morning, Schwartzman told the crowd: “Thank you everyone for staying tonight. Crazy weather.”