PARIS (Reuters) – Princess Charlene of Monaco will be visited by her two children and her husband, Prince Albert, during the Christmas holidays, the prince’s palace said in a statement on Thursday, as she remains convalescing in a secret location.
Charlene, a former South African Olympian who married Monaco’s ruler in 2011 in a lavish ceremony, has halted her public duties after returning to the principality last month following a months-long extended stay in SA where she underwent several surgeries for an ENT issue that prevented her from being able to fly.
“Princess Charlene is recuperating in a satisfactory and reassuring manner, although it may take a few more months before her health has reached a full recovery,” the palace said.
Charlene’s stay in South Africa sparked speculation about a potential rift between the royal couple – a claim the family denied.
The palace has previously said that the princess needed time to recover from a “state of profound general fatigue”.
Prince Albert has previously told PEOPLE magazine that Charlene was receiving treatment in a facility outside of Monaco to protect her privacy. According to reports, she is rumoured to be at a health facility in Switzerland.
Prince Albert’s sisters – Caroline and Stephanie – have stepped in to help at public events with the royal couple’s children, seven-year-old twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella.
Earlier this week Princess Charlene posted a Christmas card which poignantly featured an illustration – instead of an actual photo – of the family of four, together beside a Christmas tree. Many of her tens of thousands of fans will be relieved that she will at least be reunited with her family during this period.