South African Brad Binder – who won the 2020 MotoGP Rookie of the Year award – says he is “super, super happy” to have signed a new contract that will see him remain part of the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team for the next three years and take him to 10 Grand Prix seasons in ‘orange’ by the end of the 2024 MotoGP campaign.
Clearly, Binder’s ‘Story of a Legend’ (watch on Showmax) continues! Just a few days ago, he posted a new MotoGP milestone at the Gran Premio D’Italia by equalling the highest top speed in the history of the sport at 362.4 kmph during FP3 around the iconic Mugello track!
Of his new deal, the SA sports star revealed:
“I’m super, super happy to have signed again for three more seasons with KTM and it will take us up to 10 years. It’s incredible to have been with this manufacturer for such a long time now and we’ve always had a good relationship. I’m extremely happy in KTM colours, so it’s extra satisfying to have a long contract signed up.
“It’s cool to have that belief and support from a company. It’s an honour. From here on we can focus on building ourselves towards the front. We are not terribly far away, and it would be really nice to do something great together. It’s exciting to see what these next years will bring.”
Here is all you need to know about Brad Binder:
– The 25-year-old went through the KTM GP Academy structure with three seasons in the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup before graduating to Moto3 where he delivered the 2016 world championship for Red Bull KTM Ajo.
– Three seasons in Moto2 saw him claim third and then second overall in the standings ahead of his elevation to MotoGP in August 2020 where he earned his maiden elite win at the Czech GP and Rookie of the Year honours. It was also South Africa’s first win ever, and his team’s! President Cyril Ramaphosa said at the time: “Brad Binder made all South Africans proud with his historic victory. We share in his elation and look forward to his long and successful career at the top of his sport… Brad’s victory in the Czech Grand Prix provides us with inspiration, hope and pride…”
“Brad Binder made all South Africans proud with his historic victory” – Ramaphosa
– KTM’s first ever MotoGP race winner will now remain part of the senior team with Binder’s fighting spirit symbolising the way the manufacturer brings themselves to the track ‘Ready to Race’.
– KTM Motorsports Director Pit Beirer said: “This was a very easy contract for us to do because we love Brad as a racer and what he brings to the team, the factory and the MotoGP class. He was also very enthusiastic to make a big commitment to us and that says a lot for our progression and our potential in this championship. Sometimes you find a racer and a mentality that really fits with your own philosophy and the fact that Brad has come all the way to the top with us in a 10-year period is a very special story. We’re really proud to continue racing with him and to keep setting new targets together.”
– Red Bull KTM Race Manager Mike Leitner added: “I’m happy that Brad has placed his trust in us for another three years. He’s a very strong rider with a strong crew and a strong factory behind him. We will push together to achieve our mutual dreams and targets.”
Don’t Miss “Brad Binder’s Reflections 2.0 – The Story of a Legend, streaming on Showmax now.