Oscars® Winning Movies to be Featured on DStv This Year
South Africans will be able to enjoy several of the Oscar-award winning movies on DStv this year. In fact Judas and the Black Messiah – for which Daniel Kaluuya won Best Supporting Actor – will be available to rent for DStv subscribers on BoxOffice from Thursday, 29 April. While Covid-19 did dampen the movie-making industry last […]
South Africans will be able to enjoy several of the Oscar-award winning movies on DStv this year. In fact Judas and the Black Messiah – for which Daniel Kaluuya won Best Supporting Actor – will be available to rent for DStv subscribers on BoxOffice from Thursday, 29 April.
While Covid-19 did dampen the movie-making industry last year, some astounding creations were still produced. Award winners Nomadland, coming to DStv soon, and Promising Young Woman, coming to BoxOffice on Friday, 14 May, were standouts for the night, and stars Frances McDormand (Fargo) and Carey Mulligan (Inside Llewyn Davis) respectively.
Soul – which is already available to rent on BoxOffice – received three nominations for the 93rd Academy Awards, which celebrates the film industry’s most artistic and technical feats. The touching film walked away with the awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score. Soul introduces Joe Gardner, played by Jamie Foxx, as a music teacher who finally gets his big break only to misstep into the ‘Great Before’.
This year’s event took place two months after its usual scheduled slot, with a glittering ensemble of Hollywood royalty in attendance.
The movies recognised at the Oscars® coming to DStv include:
- Judas and the Black Messiah, which made Oscars history by racking up a whopping five nominations. The American biographical drama walked home with the awards for Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Song. Judas and the Black Messiah will be available for rent on BoxOffice from Thursday, 29 April.
- The United States vs. Billie Holiday, which garnered a Best Actress nomination for Andra Day, will also be coming to BoxOffice on Friday, 21 May.
- Coming to M-Net Movies in September is Tenet, directed by Christopher Nolan, which won the award last night for Best Visual Effects. Tenet centres around an agent given a single secret word as his weapon to prevent the onset of the third world war. He has to travel through time to succeed at his mission.
- Customers can also look forward to the live-action retelling of Pinocchio, starring Academy Award winner, Roberto Benigni as Gepetto, coming to M-Net Movies in July.
- M-Net Movies has said that the availability of more Oscar ® winners and nominees will be announced soon.
South African documentary, My Octopus Teacher, directed by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed, took home the award for Best Documentary Feature. The documentary is available to watch on Netflix, DStv customers can add their monthly Netflix subscription to their DStv bill and watch everything they love, conveniently on the DStv Explora Ultra decoder.