SA teachers read at fourth grade level
A new Education Report has found that almost half of SA teachers read no better than 8-year-olds in other countries.
It is no secret that South Africa has one of the most unequal education systems in the world. Around 80 percent of the country’s children only have access to low quality schools and are set up for failure at the very start of their schooling career. A recent study is shining the light on SA teachers.
A damning Education Research Report shared by the Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (OMT) reveals now that only 55 percent of the country’s grade six teachers can read beyond a grade four level according to international standards.
TEACHERS WITH POOR READING SKILLS IN CHARGE OF TEACHING SA CHILDREN HOW TO READ
An Education Research Report shared by Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (OMT) has painted a depressing picture of the South African Education System and just how much work needs to be done to turn things around.
According to the report — which takes a look at the key problem areas in South Africa’s education system — almost half of the country’s teachers fall short of international education standards.
This is largely due to the fact that they are largely unqualified or underqualified.
ALSO READ: Most in demand Primary schools in Gauteng
The report states that only 20 percent of the country’s learners are receiving a quality education while the remaining 80 percent are being taught by teachers who read no better than an international grade four pupil.
READING IS NOT THE ONLY CHALLENGE
While reading to comprehend is one of the biggest factors in teaching, the report has also highlighted the struggles of mathematic teachers.
According to the report, 80 percent of the country’s math teachers have subject knowledge below the Grade 6 level.
Shining a spotlight on what caused this, The OMT report revealed that poor in-service training, pre-service training and curriculum problems were all to blame.