Top 20 Questions for an Expat
This is not an interview with one person – but the Top 20 questions that South Africans back home would like to ask expats (according to a survey compiled by The Expat Confessions). The emotions range from those who are angry and dismissive to those who are curious and envious. If you have some answers […]
This is not an interview with one person – but the Top 20 questions that South Africans back home would like to ask expats (according to a survey compiled by The Expat Confessions). The emotions range from those who are angry and dismissive to those who are curious and envious. If you have some answers – or more questions of your own – please add to the comments below.
- Why did you cop out – didn’t you have the guts to stick it out for the long run?
- Why do you continually try to cast negative impressions of South Africa whilst living abroad?
- Why don’t you consider coming back to South Africa, pride aside?
- Why on earth did you leave the most beautiful country in the world?
- Was it worth it?
- Are you really happy?
- Have you ever thought of returning to this fascinating country?
- Are you sure you haven’t just exchanged one set of problems for another?
- How could you leave South Africa when we have so much here to live for – South African rugby, Mrs Ball’s, biltong, the Big 5 and the Rainbow Nation?
- If you had only a year to live, would you want to spend your last days in South Africa or not?
- Is life over there really more boring than in South Africa? Do you miss the thrill of living in a changing, diverse, challenging, sometimes scary place?
- Are you holistically satisfied living in your new culture and do you miss Africa and your friends, as you only have one life?
- Do you really have a better life now? Is the grass really greener?
- What’s it really like on the other side?
- Do you feel safe?
- Is it possible to be totally integrated in your new society or do you think you will always feel you are South African?
- Do you feel passionate about your adopted country and do you feel that you truly belong?
- What has been the most difficult issue to deal with?
- What’s life like without the constant threat of attacks, hijacks, robberies, corruption and fraud?
- Can we come and live with you?